Friday, May 29, 2009

Hate Evil, Not People

Proverbs 8

12 “I, Wisdom, live together with good judgment.
I know where to discover knowledge and discernment.
13 All who fear the Lord will hate evil.
Therefore, I hate pride and arrogance,
corruption and perverse speech.
14 Common sense and success belong to me.
Insight and strength are mine.


Let me help differentiate between hating evil, and hating people. Sometimes, those who are trying to follow Christ get the two confused. Hating evil is what God does, but God does not hate people. People were created in God’s image. The actions of people can be evil, and THAT is what God hates, and THAT is what those who fear the Lord should hate. We are called to love people, no matter how evil their actions may be. I am getting a big dose of that lesson in my personal life these days. It is not easy to do, but it is the right thing to do. I hate the destructive. evil actions a family member has brought about, but I do love this family member. I don’t trust them right now, but I pray that God will truly get hold of them and turn them to Him for real, for good, and forever. Please pray for me and for this family member. We both need it.

No comments: