Monday, March 15, 2010

When Donkeys Speak

Numbers 22

28 Then the Lord gave the donkey the ability to speak. “What have I done to you that deserves your beating me three times?” it asked Balaam.

29 “You have made me look like a fool!” Balaam shouted. “If I had a sword with me, I would kill you!”

30 “But I am the same donkey you have ridden all your life,” the donkey answered. “Have I ever done anything like this before?”

“No,” Balaam admitted.

31 Then the Lord opened Balaam’s eyes, and he saw the angel of the Lord standing in the roadway with a drawn sword in his hand. Balaam bowed his head and fell face down on the ground before him.

32 “Why did you beat your donkey those three times?” the angel of the Lord demanded. “Look, I have come to block your way because you are stubbornly resisting me. 33 Three times the donkey saw me and shied away; otherwise, I would certainly have killed you by now and spared the donkey.”

34 Then Balaam confessed to the angel of the Lord, “I have sinned. I didn’t realize you were standing in the road to block my way. I will return home if you are against my going.”

You know as I read this very familiar passage this morning, one thought hits me: when donkeys speak, you’d better listen! I mean outside of the Shrek movies, donkeys don’t normally talk to us. Balaam is on a path to destruction because he is disobeying God. His donkey saves Balaam three times by veering off the path to prevent an angel of the LORD from killing Balaam. The donkey’s reward? Balaam beats him. Finally, the donkey gets to stick up for himself, when God enables him to speak to Balaam. So, who was the stubborn one in this story? Yeah, when donkeys speak, we should listen.

No comments: