Friday, March 5, 2010

Head Knowledge Is Not Enough

Mark 12

28 One of the teachers of religious law was standing there listening to the debate. He realized that Jesus had answered well, so he asked, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?”

29 Jesus replied, “The most important commandment is this: ‘Listen, O Israel! The Lord our God is the one and only Lord. 30 And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength.’ 31 The second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ No other commandment is greater than these.”

32 The teacher of religious law replied, “Well said, Teacher. You have spoken the truth by saying that there is only one God and no other. 33 And I know it is important to love him with all my heart and all my understanding and all my strength, and to love my neighbor as myself. This is more important than to offer all of the burnt offerings and sacrifices required in the law.”

34 Realizing how much the man understood, Jesus said to him, “You are not far from the Kingdom of God.” And after that, no one dared to ask him any more questions.

Now, I know that usually when folks look at this passage they concentrate on Jesus’ answer to the question from the teacher of the religious law. I want to concentrate today on that teacher and his response. After Jesus articulates what we now call the Great Commandment, this teacher responds by saying that Jesus has indeed spoken truth, and that the teacher understands the importance of loving God with all you’ve got while loving people like God loves them. In fact, this teacher declares that to be more important than burnt offerings and sacrifices as required in the law. Then Jesus tells the man that he is not far from the Kingdom of God. My question today is: knowledge of what should be done isn’t enough, is it? I mean, this teacher knows what he should do; even knowing that this loving God and people way of life surpasses the Law of Moses. But, unless this teacher lives that life of love, he stays “not far from the Kingdom of God.” That means he is NOT in the Kingdom of God even though he knows what he should do. THAT thought makes me very sad. Far too many people have the head knowledge, but refuse to live the life to which those who belong to the Kingdom are called. May my life be known by the love I freely give to everyone around me.

No comments: