Wednesday, March 3, 2010

No Downside At All

Psalm 46

1 God is our refuge and strength,

always ready to help in times of trouble.

2 So we will not fear when earthquakes come

and the mountains crumble into the sea.

3 Let the oceans roar and foam.

Let the mountains tremble as the waters surge!

In the past few weeks we have seen earthquakes (and aftershocks) devastate Haiti, rattle the Midwestern US, and severely damage Chile. Hundreds of thousands have died, and that many more have been injured. The world has mobilized to help in Haiti and Chile, and Christians are leading the charge in acts of love and restoration for the people of Haiti and Chile. Nevertheless, earthquakes happen. Floods happen. Mudslides, sinkholes, monsoons, soon we will enter hurricane season, and those natural disasters happen! Because I trust in the Lord my God, I have no fear of such disasters. I look at them as opportunities to show God’s great love. God does not cause such disasters, but He allows them to happen in this fallen world because His Name can indeed be glorified when His people respond in love to those in need. Should such a natural disaster take my physical life, I get to step into the presence of my Lord Jesus. See? There is NO downside at all!

No comments: