Friday, January 30, 2009

Who Am I To Question God?

Job 38
1 Then the Lord answered Job from the whirlwind:

2 “Who is this that questions my wisdom
with such ignorant words?
3 Brace yourself like a man,
because I have some questions for you,
and you must answer them.”


Finally God addresses Job, and unleashes a torrent of questions, none of which Job could answer. When God is finished in chapters 38 & 39, we read the following:
Job 40
1 Then the Lord said to Job,

2 “Do you still want to argue with the Almighty?
You are God’s critic, but do you have the answers?”
3 Then Job replied to the Lord,

4 “I am nothing—how could I ever find the answers?
I will cover my mouth with my hand.
5 I have said too much already.
I have nothing more to say.”


This last statement from Job is the wisest thing he has said throughout this book. Who are we as mere mortals to question God Almighty, Creator of heaven and earth? How arrogant of us to presume to be able to question God. Forgive me of my arrogance, Lord, and help me keep my mouth shut.

No comments: