Thursday, January 8, 2009

What's In A Name?

From today's One Year Chronological Bible reading:
Genesis 25
24 And when the time came to give birth, Rebekah discovered that she did indeed have twins! 25 The first one was very red at birth and covered with thick hair like a fur coat. So they named him Esau. 26 Then the other twin was born with his hand grasping Esau’s heel. So they named him Jacob. Isaac was sixty years old when the twins were born.


In biblical times names had meanings, and folks took those names & meanings seriously. Esau means “hairy,” and Jacob means “deceiver.” Both appropriate names for these twins. I looked up the meaning of my name this morning…Scott means “painted warrior.” That is a serious meaning, now! Painted with the Blood of Christ, I am a warrior for His Kingdom. I need to take that name and that meaning more seriously, and redouble my efforts in battling for the sake and for the cause of Jesus! By the way, just for giggles, I thought I would look up the meaning of my middle name, Kevin. “Beautiful at birth.” How appropriate. Lol.

Be God's,
Scott

1 comment:

Chris Marsden said...

Painted Warrior, huh? Can you imagine the mental pictures you have just painted for everyone?