Saturday, January 24, 2009

My Redeemer Lives

From the One Year Chronological Bible reading for today:
Job 19
25 “But as for me, I know that my Redeemer lives,
and he will stand upon the earth at last.
26 And after my body has decayed,
yet in my body I will see God!
27 I will see him for myself.
Yes, I will see him with my own eyes.
I am overwhelmed at the thought!”


In the midst of life’s most horrible circumstances, Job stops to offer up this prayer of hope. Having lost everything on this earth, including the love of his wife, and his friends (not to mention the literal loss of his wealth and all of his children), Job still does not give up on his duty to glorify God. Yeah, Job complains about his circumstances, and realizes that his complaints are about God, but he never BLAMES God. Instead, he looks forward to the day when he will see God, believing that God will accept and bless him. How many times to I allow my “pity party” to get to the point that I don’t even want to talk with God? I would do well to remember Job’s attitude, and imitate it. I know that my Redeemer lives. I know that my Redeemer loves. I know that I need to give my Redeemer the glory always. So easy to write, not so easy to put into practice.

No comments: