Saturday, January 10, 2009

Bargaining With God

Genesis 28
20 Then Jacob made this vow: “If God will indeed be with me and protect me on this journey, and if he will provide me with food and clothing, 21 and if I return safely to my father’s home, then the Lord will certainly be my God. 22 And this memorial pillar I have set up will become a place for worshiping God, and I will present to God a tenth of everything he gives me.”



This vow of Jacob’s bothers me. This conditional “if” that he keeps throwing in there reminds me of, well, me. Don’t we always try to bargain with God? “Lord, if You will do this, then I will be Yours forever…” Guess what? God has already done more for me than I could ever deserve! God sent Jesus to take my sin away! There is no “if” in my dealings with God. May my vow simply be: “God You have already blessed me beyond any reasonable expectation. I am Yours, do with me as You will. Put me where You want me. I just want to serve You and live so that others will want to do the same.”

Be God's,
Scott

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen!! I have been guilty on many occasions of that thinking as well Scott. Thank God for His grace!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.