Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Greater

Genesis 41
7 Then Joseph brought in his father, Jacob, and presented him to Pharaoh. And Jacob blessed Pharaoh.

8 “How old are you?” Pharaoh asked him.

9 Jacob replied, “I have traveled this earth for 130 hard years. But my life has been short compared to the lives of my ancestors.” 10 Then Jacob blessed Pharaoh again before leaving his court.


This notion of Jacob blessing Pharaoh has me intrigued today. Especially in light of my study this past week in Hebrews chapter 7. In that study, I was examining Melchizedek and Abram. Melchizedek blessed Abram after Abram presented him with a tenth of the plunder from a military conquest. Hebrews 7:7 states, “And without doubt the lesser person is blessed by the greater.”

With this in mind, while Pharaoh was the mighty ruler of Egypt, in God’s mind, Jacob was greater by far. Jacob was the father of nations, through whom the Messiah would come. Easy call as to who was greater. It may not always be apparent to us with our “earthly eyes,” that’s why we need to judge greatness through God’s eyes.

No comments: