Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Clothed With Christ

Job 30
18 In his great power God becomes like clothing to me ;
he binds me like the neck of my garment.


In his great lament, Job stumbles across a nugget of truth in such a way as to change the relationship between God and man forever. Paul in writing to the Galatian church put it this way:

Galatians 3
26You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, 27for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.


Now, I realize that when Job said his words, he was considering being clothed by God to be restrictive, or as a means of God controlling or punishing him, but the truth of the matter is, when we are clothed by God through faith AND through immersion in Christ, we are set free from sin. Now, Job has been listing his long list of sin free accomplishments. I cannot help but think that this pride-filled list in chapters 30 & 31 might indeed be a sin. Job still does not accuse God of anything, and he is simply stating his case for his obedience to God, however, I’ll take being clothed with Christ as my defense any day. When God, the Righteous Judge, looks at me, I want Him to see Christ living in and through me. At that time, the Judge can declare, “case dismissed.”

No comments: