Monday, March 21, 2011

Alone Time

Luke 4

42 Early the next morning Jesus went out to an isolated place. The crowds searched everywhere for him, and when they finally found him, they begged him not to leave them. 43 But he replied, “I must preach the Good News of the Kingdom of God in other towns, too, because that is why I was sent.” 44 So he continued to travel around, preaching in synagogues throughout Judea.


I’m reading Les Hardin’s, “The Spirituality of Jesus” right now, and my friend Les makes a compelling case for the spiritual discipline of alone time in prayer for Jesus. We often read in the Gospel accounts that Jesus isolated Himself from the crowds. In this instance, the prayer time immediately precedes the calling of His Disciples. Jesus knew that in order to spiritually feed others, He must be fed spiritually as well. This alone time with God the Father served as that “feeding time” for Jesus. My daily devotional readings and prayer time serve as mine. I need to spend more time in this discipline if I am to presume to teach others. My prayer for myself today is that I will desire more alone time with God the Father so that I may be better prepared to be the man of God I have been called to be.

No comments: