Thursday, August 20, 2009

The Need For Repentance

Ezekiel 18

23 “Do you think that I like to see wicked people die? says the Sovereign LORD. Of course not! I want them to turn from their wicked ways and live. 24 However, if righteous people turn from their righteous behavior and start doing sinful things and act like other sinners, should they be allowed to live? No, of course not! All their righteous acts will be forgotten, and they will die for their sins.”


Peter reminds us that God doesn’t want “anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.” I have much repentance to come to these days. As I continue to be convicted by Richard Stearns’ book, “The Hole In Our Gospel,” I read the following this morning:

My name is Scott (fill in your name here), and I am blind to the injustices and sins of omission committed by my own church. Open the eyes of my heart, Lord, to see the world as You see it. Let my heart be broken by the things that break Your heart. Give me the ability to see through our culture and to lead my people with Your vision, instead of the world’s.

It is sinful for those of us in the church to ignore the poor and the suffering in our communities and around the world. May God have mercy on us and help us to repent of this sin. May God have mercy on ME and help Me to repent of this sin.

No comments: