Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Convicted

Ezekiel 14
6 “Therefore, tell the people of Israel, ‘This is what the Sovereign LORD says: Repent and turn away from your idols, and stop all your detestable sins.”


As I have chronicled here on several occasions, the church is the New Testament equivalent to Israel of the Old Testament. As I read this passage in Ezekiel, I cannot help but think about the idols the American Church has set up…idols of comfort, prosperity, and inward focus. I am also currently reading Richard Stearns’ (US President of World Vision) book, “The Hole In Our Gospel.” A quote Stearns has in the book from Paul Harvey continues to weigh heavily on me:

“We’ve drifted away from being fishers of men to being keepers of the aquarium.”

The more I pray and read and pray and read, the more I am convinced that we MUST reverse this sinful trend in the church in America. I also am convinced that it is my responsibility to start that reversal where I am. How could I possibly DARE to call others to action on this matter until I am fully immersed in it myself? Deep Sigh.

No comments: