Tuesday, November 30, 2010

The Light

1 John 1


5 This is the message we heard from Jesus and now declare to you: God is light, and there is no darkness in him at all. 6 So we are lying if we say we have fellowship with God but go on living in spiritual darkness; we are not practicing the truth. 7 But if we are living in the light, as God is in the light, then we have fellowship with each other, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, cleanses us from all sin.


This was the first passage of Scripture we examined in my Beginning Greek class at Kentucky Christian College way back in the last century. I will never forget Dr. Jim Girdwood helping us understand the emphatic nature of verse five. In God, there is no darkness at all, NOT EVEN ONE. Since it is so emphatic in the original language, and since the thought goes on to remind us that we who want to follow Christ must live in the light (where there is no darkness at all, NOT EVEN ONE), then we CANNOT allow our lives to be darkened by sin. Not that we won’t ever sin after becoming a Christian, but that we must not allow sin to become our master. We must not allow a sinful mindset to take hold in our lives. I still struggle with this, in some areas of my life. I know that I must purge the darkness from my life, and live in the Light of Christ always. Father, this is my prayer for today. Help me to live in the Light as You are in the Light (because You ARE the Light).

No comments: