Saturday, November 12, 2011

Nomads

Hebrews 11

13 All these people died still believing what God had promised them. They did not receive what was promised, but they saw it all from a distance and welcomed it. They agreed that they were foreigners and nomads here on earth. 14 Obviously people who say such things are looking forward to a country they can call their own. 15 If they had longed for the country they came from, they could have gone back. 16 But they were looking for a better place, a heavenly homeland. That is why God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them.


The roll call for the Hall of Faith has started, and then the writer reminds us that these Old Testament Heroes of the Faith all had one very important thing in common: they died still believing what God had promised them, even though they hadn’t received it, having only seen it from a distance. How pitiful it is for me to have doubts when I have been shown the full Promise of God through the person of Jesus! Instead, may I emulate these Old Testament Heroes, remembering that I am a nomad on this earth. This is NOT my home, nor my homeland. I long for the day when I am in the very presence of God, just as these Old Testament Heroes longed for that day, and are now experiencing it.

No comments: