Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Worse Than Peter

Luke 22

61 At that moment the Lord turned and looked at Peter. Suddenly, the Lord’s words flashed through Peter’s mind: “Before the rooster crows tomorrow morning, you will deny three times that you even know me.” 62 And Peter left the courtyard, weeping bitterly.


Oh, Peter. He had proclaimed that he would NEVER abandoned, nor deny Jesus. The Lord told Peter that he would deny knowing Him three times before the rooster crowed, and sure enough, he did. It is easy to sit back and be critical of Peter from my vantage point...at least until I think of the times I deny knowing Jesus in my life. Those times when I speak harshly to someone for little or no reason at all. Those times when I am less than Christ-like behind the wheel of my car. Those times when I cannot be distinguished from the pagans around me. Those times when I fail to give Jesus the glory and honor He deserves. Those times when I am silent when I should be standing up for Christ. The list is already too long, and could go on even more. When I think of this list, the bitter tears form in my eyes. I am so undeserving of the love of Jesus, and yet He freely pours out that love on me anyway. Amazing Grace, indeed.

No comments: