Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Goober

Jonah 4


1 This change of plans greatly upset Jonah, and he became very angry. 2 So he complained to the Lord about it: “Didn’t I say before I left home that you would do this, Lord? That is why I ran away to Tarshish! I knew that you are a merciful and compassionate God, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love. You are eager to turn back from destroying people. 3 Just kill me now, Lord! I’d rather be dead than alive if what I predicted will not happen.”


What a goober Jonah was. What a goober I am. I have found myself in Jonah’s frame of mind more than once in my life. Just when I think I have God all figured out, He shows mercy and grace. But, why should that anger me? Why should I get all bent out of shape when I follow God, even when He doesn’t do what I think should be done? No excuse, whatsoever. Who do I think I am that I should tell God what should happen, or how a certain situation should be handled? They key is found in Jonah’s statement found in verse 3. God is a merciful and compassionate God, slow to get angry and filled with unfailing love. I celebrate when those attributes are aimed towards me. How could I dare be angry or resentful when God displays such unfailing love to “other, undeserving people”? What a goober way of thinking on my part! May it never be so again.

No comments: