Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Sigh

John 7

1 After this, Jesus traveled around Galilee. He wanted to stay out of Judea, where the Jewish leaders were plotting his death. 2 But soon it was time for the Jewish Festival of Shelters, 3 and Jesus’ brothers said to him, “Leave here and go to Judea, where your followers can see your miracles! 4 You can’t become famous if you hide like this! If you can do such wonderful things, show yourself to the world!” 5 For even his brothers didn’t believe in him.
6 Jesus replied, “Now is not the right time for me to go, but you can go anytime. 7 The world can’t hate you, but it does hate me because I accuse it of doing evil.”


Verse 5 of this passage makes me sad. Jesus’ own brothers still did not believe in Him at this time. Now, that all changes following the Resurrection, when they had the benefit of 20/20 hindsight. It makes me sad that there are plenty of folks who fall into the same trap as the brothers of Jesus. They have seen the power of the Christ at work in lives all around them, yet they still don’t believe. And certainly the world (and those who are caught up in the world) won’t help out because Jesus is hated by the world. He accuses the world of doing evil. Worldly people detest being called out for the evil they do. They try to deflect the issue by turning it around on Jesus. May I be a true follower of Jesus. Not afraid to admit my sins, repent of them, and turn towards the Christ. Not afraid to take the hatred of the world upon myself, because Jesus took it all for me to begin with. Not afraid to stand up for Jesus anyplace at any time and in front of anyone.

No comments: