Thursday, October 15, 2009

Jesus is I AM

John 8

21 Later Jesus said to them again, “I am going away. You will search for me but will die in your sin. You cannot come where I am going.”
22 The people asked, “Is he planning to commit suicide? What does he mean, ‘You cannot come where I am going’?”
23 Jesus continued, “You are from below; I am from above. You belong to this world; I do not. 24 That is why I said that you will die in your sins; for unless you believe that I AM who I claim to be, you will die in your sins.”
25 “Who are you?” they demanded.
Jesus replied, “The one I have always claimed to be.”


When Jesus uses the term I AM in this passage, He is being very clear about His divinity. He uses the name God gave Moses to tell Pharaoh, when asked who sent Moses to set the children of Israel free. Jesus is not claiming to be a good man, or a great teacher, or even one of numerous ways to God the Father. Jesus is claiming and has always claimed to be God in the flesh. To treat Him as anything less is to be deceived and to be doomed.

No comments: