Friday, October 2, 2009

Love

Matthew 5

43 “You have heard the law that says, ‘Love your neighbor’ and hate your enemy. 44 But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! 45 In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven. For he gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust alike. 46 If you love only those who love you, what reward is there for that? Even corrupt tax collectors do that much. 47 If you are kind only to your friends, how are you different from anyone else? Even pagans do that. 48 But you are to be perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect.”


For the past year, I have struggled with this passage while trying to rescue my Dad financially, emotionally and spiritually. To make the very long story, short: my sister ruined him financially, got addicted to Meth, is currently in jail, and I am trying to get things straightened out for Dad. We’re back in Alabama as I write this because of a massive water leak at his house which actually will be a blessing (insurance will cover the damages and the house will get a gutting that is long overdue). Dad wants to go visit my sister in jail. A few months ago, I would have grudgingly worked this out. Today, I do so with a hope in my heart that the Lord will put the right words of love in my mouth, not just for my dad but for my sister as well. Your prayers in this matter are greatly appreciated.

No comments: