Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Wearing Yourself Out

Proverbs 23

4 Don’t wear yourself out trying to get rich.
Be wise enough to know when to quit.
5 In the blink of an eye wealth disappears,
for it will sprout wings
and fly away like an eagle.


From the 30 wise sayings in this part of the book of Proverbs comes a little jewel that slaps the face of the “Health and Wealth” false doctrine preached in this country. It slaps the face of the “American Dream” as well. That dream has become a nightmare as the stock market lost 50% of its value over the past year. I like Paul’s thoughts on learning to be content. I am content with what the Lord provides for my family and me. I’m not interested in keeping up with the “Joneses,” nor does my sense of self worth come from the numbers in my bank account. I desire to store up for myself treasures in heaven. The earthly stuff is all rust and dust waiting to happen anyway!

No comments: