Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Sound Advice from a Band of Brothers

2 Kings 5

13 But his officers tried to reason with him and said, “Sir, if the prophet had told you to do something very difficult, wouldn’t you have done it? So you should certainly obey him when he says simply, ‘Go and wash and be cured!’” 14 So Naaman went down to the Jordan River and dipped himself seven times, as the man of God had instructed him. And his skin became as healthy as the skin of a young child’s, and he was healed!


Naaman is throwing a fit. Elisha has just told him to wash in the River Jordan to be healed of his leprosy, and he is indignant at being treated so “poorly” by the man of God. Naaman did have the good sense to surround himself with wise officers, and he did have the good sense to listen to their wisdom. I tend to be too much of a loaner. I miss the days when I was part of a tight-knit group of guys who had each others’ back. Now, we are spread all over the country, literally, and communication is not nearly as consistent as I would like. I know that I need to do more to get back into a “band of brothers,” because I am in need of wise counsel from such a band on a regular basis.

No comments: