Saturday, June 20, 2009

Pride

2 Chronicles 26

5 Uzziah sought God during the days of Zechariah, who taught him to fear God. And as long as the king sought guidance from the Lord, God gave him success.
16a But when he had become powerful, he also became proud, which led to his downfall.


This passage reminds me of Proverbs 16:18 - Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.

Pride is such an ugly attitude. It takes away the glory and honor that belong to God and places it on us mere people. Since I have no good reason to be prideful, I need the reminders from Scripture to avoid that trap of satan. Yes, I take pride in my work, but only to give the glory to God. Yes, I am proud of my Bride because her life gives glory and honor to God. Yes, I am proud of my four kids because they each love Jesus with all their hearts and live that way. That is a healthy pride because I am not trying to replace the honor due to God, I am proclaiming that God is the One worthy of all honor!

No comments: