Sunday, June 21, 2009

Dealing With Sin, God's Obsession With Me

Amos 1 & 2

“The people of _________ have sinned again and again,
and I will not let them go unpunished!”


The blank gets filled in with the words, Damascus, Gaza, Tyre, Edom, Ammon, Moab, Judah, and Israel. The first two chapters of Amos are filled with the warning of the coming destruction for the people who have turned their backs on God. Is it any wonder that Amos wasn’t a real popular guy in his day? People do not like hearing about the consequence of their sin. However, it is appropriate for those who claim to follow Christ to be reminded of the need to obey the Gospel, to eschew sin, and to love people. God is obsessed with us (as I heard in a sermon preached by Elliott Blount today…best Father’s Day in many years). Because God is obsessed with us, we need to be obsessed with Him, and live our lives in such a way to to glorify His Holy Name. Lord, I need Your strength to rid my life of the sin that so easily entangles me. I praise You for being obsessed with me to the point that You are willing to provide the strength necessary to overcome that sin in my life, and that You provide the mercy and grace to cover me when I fail You by falling back into sinful patterns.

No comments: