Thursday, August 11, 2011

Nehemiah's Prayer

Nehemiah 1

4 When I heard this, I sat down and wept. In fact, for days I mourned, fasted, and prayed to the God of heaven. 5 Then I said,

“O Lord, God of heaven, the great and awesome God who keeps his covenant of unfailing love with those who love him and obey his commands, 6 listen to my prayer! Look down and see me praying night and day for your people Israel. I confess that we have sinned against you. Yes, even my own family and I have sinned! 7 We have sinned terribly by not obeying the commands, decrees, and regulations that you gave us through your servant Moses.”


When Nehemiah hears how the people of Judah and the city of Jerusalem are in disgrace and despair, he weeps, mourns, fasts, and prays. As I read the first part of this prayer, I am struck by the notion that we have many Americans who claim to follow Christ who live their lives in disgrace and despair. Do I spend enough time weeping, mourning, and praying? No. I am guilty of NOT doing that. Father, may I seek Your Face on behalf of Christians living in disgrace and despair, and may I be a man of prayer for all peoples every day. May You move through my prayers, and may I put the hands and feet on them like Nehemiah did!

No comments: