Monday, April 12, 2010

Whose Side?

Joshua 5

13 When Joshua was near the town of Jericho, he looked up and saw a man standing in front of him with sword in hand. Joshua went up to him and demanded, “Are you friend or foe?”
14 “Neither one,” he replied. “I am the commander of the Lord’s army.”
At this, Joshua fell with his face to the ground in reverence. “I am at your command,” Joshua said. “What do you want your servant to do?”

It is good for me to be reminded that the question is not, “is God on my side?” but rather, “am I on God’s side?” Joshua, the Commander of the Israelite Army, the chosen vessel of the LORD God to lead the Israelites into the Promised Land, of all people could have perhaps had the right to ask this angel if he was friend or foe, but I LOVE the answer he got: “Neither one...I am the commander of the Lord’s army.” Lord, help me remember that I am called to be on YOUR side, not the other way around.

No comments: