Friday, July 31, 2009

Misusing God's Name

Jeremiah 5

20 “Make this announcement to Israel,
and say this to Judah:
21 Listen, you foolish and senseless people,
with eyes that do not see
and ears that do not hear.
22 Have you no respect for me?
Why don’t you tremble in my presence?
I, the LORD, define the ocean’s sandy shoreline
as an everlasting boundary that the waters cannot cross.
The waves may toss and roar,
but they can never pass the boundaries I set."


One of the online videos that goes along with Francis Chan’s book, “Crazy Love” has him sitting along the seashore. He writes the name “GOD” in the sand asking if we haven’t taken that name for granted. Does the name of GOD strike us with the awe and fear and trembling that it should? Or have we become a little too cozy with throwing that name around? I believe that when we take the name of GOD for granted, we misuse His name. That’s a violation of the 3rd Commandment as recorded in Exodus chapter 20:

7 "You shall not misuse the name of the LORD your God, for the LORD will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name."

May the Name of Almighty God be revered in my life, and may this measly little life of mine bring glory, praise and honor to the Name of God always! May I never take God’s Holy Name for granted, and may I never misuse His Name again.

No comments: