Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Stairway To Heaven

John 1

32 Then John testified, “I saw the Holy Spirit descending like a dove from heaven and resting upon him. 33 I didn’t know he was the one, but when God sent me to baptize with water, he told me, ‘The one on whom you see the Spirit descend and rest is the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.’ 34 I saw this happen to Jesus, so I testify that he is the Chosen One of God.”


49 Then Nathanael exclaimed, “Rabbi, you are the Son of God—the King of Israel!” 50 Jesus asked him, “Do you believe this just because I told you I had seen you under the fig tree? You will see greater things than this.” 51 Then he said, “I tell you the truth, you will all see heaven open and the angels of God going up and down on the Son of Man, the one who is the stairway between heaven and earth.”

The Gospel of John leaves no doubt as to who Jesus is, and what His purpose for coming to this earth was. When John tells about the cousin of Jesus (John the Immerser) testifying about Jesus, that testimony is as clear as day. Just a few verses later when Nathanael makes his proclamation, Jesus replies with a statement that really caught this teen of the 70’s eye: “the Son of Man, the one who is the stairway between heaven and earth.” Jesus isn’t claiming to be just a good man here. He is the way to get to heaven. Period. I believe that. I pray that I can show others the truth of this claim so that they, too, can know eternal life through the Son of Man: Jesus.

No comments: