Saturday, May 14, 2011

Obedience or Rejection

1 Samuel 15

22 But Samuel replied,

“What is more pleasing to the Lord:
your burnt offerings and sacrifices
or your obedience to his voice?
Listen! Obedience is better than sacrifice,
and submission is better than offering the fat of rams.
23 Rebellion is as sinful as witchcraft,
and stubbornness as bad as worshiping idols.
So because you have rejected the command of the Lord,
he has rejected you as king.”

Saul was given very simply, yet explicit instructions. He failed to obey those instructions which came from the LORD through Samuel. Samuel delivered the “bad news” to Saul. Basically, since Saul had rejected God through his disobedience, God was now rejecting Saul. I can think of no more horrible news anyone could receive than to find out that God has rejected them. Yet, millions...no, billions of people reject God every day. When I fail to do my best to represent Jesus and help others come to a saving relationship with Him, I am guilty of rejecting the simple, yet explicit instructions of the LORD. Thank God, I can still be forgiven through Jesus so that I am not rejected. May I let the Light of Jesus shine through my life every day so that all who come into contact with me will be drawn to Him. THAT is obedience.

No comments: