Sunday, May 16, 2010

Faithful Living

John 8
31 Jesus said to the people who believed in him, “You are truly my disciples if you remain faithful to my teachings. 32 And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

Remaining faithful to Jesus is the key. It is easy to get swept up in the emotion of becoming a Christ follower, and it is easier to lose the flame of that emotion. Christian living is not a sprint, it is a lifelong marathon. As I spoke to our students this evening, I reminded them that the salvation process includes faithful living. It is not enough to once upon a time believe that Jesus is the Christ the Son of the Living God, and to repent, and to be immersed into Him. That is just the starting point of the race. Finishing the race strong in the Lord, that is where it is at! For nearly 25 years now, I have run this race. Now, I am closer to walking than running, understanding that the race is a lifelong event, and that I need to slow down soas not to miss what Jesus wants me to see. Isaiah 40:31 is my standard by which I tackle this race:
31 but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

No comments: