Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Daily Joyful Prayer of Thanksgiving

1 Thessalonians 5

16 Always be joyful. 17 Never stop praying. 18 Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.


The trifecta of Scripture verses not just for this season as we approach the American Holiday of Thanksgiving, but for every day of our lives! Yes, these verses are a run of three winning attitudes. 1) Always be joyful. Joy is not the same as happiness. To be happy is to depend on outside circumstances. Joy comes from within: as in your personal relationship with Christ. Joy does not depend on outward circumstances. That is why Christ followers can be joyful even in the midst of severe trials. 2) Never stop praying. We should have an attitude of prayer, always talking with and listening to God the Father. God desires to have a close, intimate personal relationship with us, and when we fail to speak with Him, it grieves Him greatly. 3) Be thankful in all circumstances. This IS a tough one. When my Mom died of pancreatic cancer in 1993, it was tough to be thankful, but I found reasons to give God the praise, glory and honor He deserves. I know that I can’t see the Big Picture, but that God does. I know that all will be revealed in due time. I trust that God loves me so much, that He does only want what is best for me, even in the midst of really stinky times. Because I know that, I can be thankful in all circumstances. Nothing nor no one can take my joy away from me. I will talk with God constantly each day to draw close to Him, and I will give thanks in all circumstances. This is my daily joyful prayer of thanksgiving. To do any less would be dishonoring to my Lord.

No comments: