Monday, November 2, 2009

Bitter Tears

Mark 14

66 Meanwhile, Peter was in the courtyard below. One of the servant girls who worked for the high priest came by 67 and noticed Peter warming himself at the fire. She looked at him closely and said, “You were one of those with Jesus of Nazareth.”
68 But Peter denied it. “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” he said, and he went out into the entryway. Just then, a rooster crowed.
69 When the servant girl saw him standing there, she began telling the others, “This man is definitely one of them!” 70 But Peter denied it again.
A little later some of the other bystanders confronted Peter and said, “You must be one of them, because you are a Galilean.”
71 Peter swore, “A curse on me if I’m lying—I don’t know this man you’re talking about!” 72 And immediately the rooster crowed the second time.
Suddenly, Jesus’ words flashed through Peter’s mind: “Before the rooster crows twice, you will deny three times that you even know me.” And he broke down and wept.


Oh, if I only wept bitter tears when I deny Jesus. I mean, we pick on Peter in this passage, because after swearing that he will stick with Jesus no matter what, he does deny Jesus three times just as our Lord had said he would. Even though Peter promised it would never happen…it did. When I think about the promises I have made to Jesus…promises to stick with Him through thick and thin…promises to NEVER deny Him with my words, nor my actions…well breaking down in bitter tears would be appropriate. Just as Peter was restored by Jesus, I am so glad that my repentance restores me in my relationship with my Lord and Savior. Father, help me to do better in my walk with Jesus. May I walk closer to Him so that denial doesn’t come so easily. May I live a life that reflects the love of Christ to everyone, especially those who would hate me because of Christ. Especially those who have hurt me, or my family. The rooster has crowed, may my bitter tears be wiped away by the hands of my Loving Lord.

No comments: