Friday, September 4, 2009

God's Glory

Ezekiel 43

1 After this, the man brought me back around to the east gateway. 2 Suddenly, the glory of the God of Israel appeared from the east. The sound of his coming was like the roar of rushing waters, and the whole landscape shone with his glory. 3 This vision was just like the others I had seen, first by the Kebar River and then when he came to destroy Jerusalem. I fell face down on the ground. 4 And the glory of the LORD came into the Temple through the east gateway.
5 Then the Spirit took me up and brought me into the inner courtyard, and the glory of the LORD filled the Temple.


When Ezekiel experiences the glory of God, what is his immediate reaction? He falls face down on the ground. We sings songs like “Show Me Your Glory,” but I wonder if we really want to experience that. What a remarkable picture Ezekiel pants here: the sound of rushing waters, and the WHOLE LANDSCAPE SHONE WITH HIS GLORY! I mean, I love the sunsets here in Florida, when the whole sky lights up with brilliant oranges, pinks, and purples, and I love seeing it reflecting off the ocean, but the whole landscape shining? Woah! And that is just the visual part of God’s glory. Yeah, I can understand Ezekiel falling on his face in the midst of this display of God’s glory. If only we had that same reverence for God today. Sigh.

No comments: