Thursday, February 19, 2009

God is HOLY!

Leviticus 10
1Aaron’s sons Nadab and Abihu put coals of fire in their incense burners and sprinkled incense over them. In this way, they disobeyed the Lord by burning before him the wrong kind of fire, different than he had commanded. 2 So fire blazed forth from the Lord’s presence and burned them up, and they died there before the Lord.

3 Then Moses said to Aaron, “This is what the Lord meant when he said,

‘I will display my holiness
through those who come near me.
I will display my glory
before all the people.’”

And Aaron was silent.


Of all the attributes of God, the one that best describes Him is HOLY. It is the only attribute of God that is repeated three consecutive times when used to describe God. (Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God Almighty…) I wonder if we who follow Christ under the New Covenant haven’t gotten a little too “comfortable” in our relationship with God. Yes, He desires an intimate relationship with us, but may we never take for granted God’s HOLINESS! In dealing with a Holy God, we must present ourselves to Him in a reverent, holy manner. I am in awe at the fact that God likes me and wants to hang out with me. I don’t want to take God’s Holiness for granted.

No comments: