Sunday, February 8, 2009

Covenant Meal

Exodus 24
9 Then Moses, Aaron, Nadab, Abihu, and the seventy elders of Israel climbed up the mountain. 10 There they saw the God of Israel. Under his feet there seemed to be a surface of brilliant blue lapis lazuli, as clear as the sky itself. 11 And though these nobles of Israel gazed upon God, he did not destroy them. In fact, they ate a covenant meal, eating and drinking in his presence!


I ate a covenant meal this morning: unleavened bread representing the body of Christ, and a cup of the fruit of the vine representing the Blood of Christ. My covenant meal represents a covenant with God that is superior to the one eaten by Moses, Aaron, Nadab, Abihu and the seventy elders of Israel as described in Exodus 24. I do, however, like the reverence described in this passage. These men saw God and yet He did not destroy them. While my eyes have not physically seen God, I have seen God at work in and through people. People like Don Boswell (who led me to Christ), Brent & Lisa Baker, Jeff & Peggy Sagstetter, Steve & Tami Jones, Greg Bartolucci, Anne Martinelli, (and so many others) and most importantly, Peggy Blount. I see Jesus living through these folks, and today I renewed my commitment to the New Covenant established through the Perfect Sacrifice known as Jesus.

No comments: