Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Toughen Me Up, Lord

Exodus 13

17 When Pharaoh finally let the people go, God did not lead them along the main road that runs through Philistine territory, even though that was the shortest route to the Promised Land. God said, “If the people are faced with a battle, they might change their minds and return to Egypt.” 18 So God led them in a roundabout way through the wilderness toward the Red Sea. Thus the Israelites left Egypt like an army ready for battle.


As a 21st Century American, I am not immune to the “microwave mentality” of wanting what I want and wanting it right now if not sooner. Patience is not a hallmark of our society, nor of me as an individual. God knows, in His infinite wisdom, that patience and stress are necessary to toughen us up. Make no mistake about it, we are in a battle. Not against flesh and blood, but agains the spiritual forces of evil. I am so glad that the Creator of the Universe, Who is the Lover of my soul, does NOT give me what I want (or need) instantly, but often has me travel the “long way around,” so that I can be significantly toughened up for the battle ahead. May I always be ready for the battle, for it looms large every day of my life.

No comments: