Saturday, February 11, 2012

Periods of Absence

Exodus 32


1 When the people saw how long it was taking Moses to come back down the mountain, they gathered around Aaron. “Come on,” they said, “make us some gods who can lead us. We don’t know what happened to this fellow Moses, who brought us here from the land of Egypt.”


When I see long periods in my life when I am not staying in touch with the Word of God, it makes me sad. Sad because I am allowing the stuff of this world to crowd out that which is most important. It makes me mad. Mad because I KNOW better, and yet I find myself falling into that trap once again. When I finally awaken from my spiritual slumber, it makes me glad. Glad because I do know what has happened, and I can remedy this situation. Glad because my Lord eagerly awaits my return, and our conversation. May I NEVER allow a period of absence to lead me into idolatry like the children of Israel did. May I be more determined than ever to no longer allow a period of absence in my life. God is with me, whether I acknowledge His presence or not, so I might as well just acknowledge it, and enjoy deep conversation with Him every day.

No comments: