Monday, February 20, 2012

Holy Terror

Mark 4

38 Jesus was sleeping at the back of the boat with his head on a cushion. The disciples woke him up, shouting, “Teacher, don’t you care that we’re going to drown?”

39 When Jesus woke up, he rebuked the wind and said to the waves, “Silence! Be still!” Suddenly the wind stopped, and there was a great calm. 40 Then he asked them, “Why are you afraid? Do you still have no faith?”

41 The disciples were absolutely terrified. “Who is this man?” they asked each other. “Even the wind and waves obey him!”

Did you catch the reaction of the Disciples? After Jesus calms the storm with “mere words,” (lol, He IS the Word of God), they are TERRIFIED. I wonder if I have ever been terrified when I think of Jesus. If not, why not? This Jesus Who IS the Word of God is a friend, just like He was to His Disciples in the boat. He is ALSO God in the flesh, and as such, our friendship should not be trifled with. It is not a relationship to take casually or flippantly. I fear that I have been guilty of that attitude in the past, and I am afraid that I know way too many people who have that attitude today. Jesus is LORD. Jesus is Master. Jesus is God. To treat Him any other way is foolish. A little Holy Terror might be a good thing for us all from time to time.

No comments: