Saturday, January 8, 2011

Silly

Genesis 18

32 Finally, Abraham said, “Lord, please don’t be angry with me if I speak one more time. Suppose only ten are found there?”

And the Lord replied, “Then I will not destroy it for the sake of the ten.”

33 When the Lord had finished his conversation with Abraham, he went on his way, and Abraham returned to his tent.

As many times as I have read this account of Abraham bargaining with God over the fate of Sodom, this morning something different has hit me. Yeah, I put the last part of the bargaining session here, remember, Abraham starts with the number 50, and “gets” God to “compromise” all the way down to ten. While I used to think that it was amazing for Abraham to be bold enough to bargain with God, this morning a different thought overwhelms me. Abraham didn’t change what would happen to Sodom with his bargaining ploy with God. Sodom didn’t have even ten righteous men living there, and GOD ALREADY KNEW THAT! So, Abraham’s efforts to bargain with God were silly. So are mine.

No comments: