Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Stupidity Bug

Numbers 16
41 But the very next morning the whole community of Israel began muttering again against Moses and Aaron, saying, “You have killed the Lord’s people!” 42 As the community gathered to protest against Moses and Aaron, they turned toward the Tabernacle and saw that the cloud had covered it, and the glorious presence of the Lord appeared.
49 But 14,700 people died in that plague, in addition to those who had died in the affair involving Korah. 50 Then because the plague had stopped, Aaron returned to Moses at the entrance of the Tabernacle.


Okay, this is one of those passages that leads me to believe that the children of Israel were just plain stupid! Korah has led a rebellion against Moses, and the earth swallowed up him and all his family and followers. Fire burned up another 250 rebels who had joined in this insanity. That’s when we pick it up in verse 41…”the very next morning” the muttering began again! That is a short memory span, now! God has just shown His glory and His endorsement of Moses one day, and the very next day, the whole community is muttering against Moses again. As a Christ-follower, I have a tendency to be forgetful and ungrateful, and I need a constant reminder of who I am and Whose I am. Yeah, I am infected with the same stupidity bug that caused 14,700 Israelites to die all because they refused to follow God’s plan. Now, I am doing better after following Christ for 23 years, but reminders like from today’s readings never hurt. Know what I mean?

No comments: