Monday, March 9, 2009

My Word Is My Bond

Numbers 30
1 Then Moses summoned the leaders of the tribes of Israel and told them, “This is what the Lord has commanded: 2 A man who makes a vow to the Lord or makes a pl
edge under oath must never break it. He must do exactly what he said he would do."

Jesus commands us to let our yes be yes and our no be no. We are to be a people of our word. There is no need to swear by heaven or earth or anything in heaven or anything on earth. Just be a people of our word. That is my philosophy. If I say it, you can count on it. Way back when my Bride and I first started dating, I did not say those magical three words she longed to hear. I told her that when I was ready to make that proclamation, she would know that I meant every word of it. We dated for several months, and I had poured my heart out to her. She didn’t run away from me screaming. We grew closer and when I was sure that I could see myself spending the rest of my life with her, I told her: “I love you.” Some 31 years later (we dated for 4 years and have been married for over 27 years now), my love for Peggy has grown beyond measure. My word is my bond, and my bond with my Bride is stronger now than ever. I praise God for my Bride, and I pray that my word will be my bond no matter the situation. If I say it to you, take it to the bank. I will do exactly what I say I will do.

No comments: