Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Living In Fear of the Lord

Acts 9

31 The church then had peace throughout Judea, Galilee, and Samaria, and it became stronger as the believers lived in the fear of the Lord. And with the encouragement of the Holy Spirit, it also grew in numbers.

Now, most “church growth experts” won’t point out that true growth comes from the church living in fear of the Lord, but Luke points this out as plainly as possible in Acts 9:31, doesn’t he? I am afraid that the church has become much too comfortable with the Lord. Comfortable with the access to God the Father. Deluded into thinking that God is no longer Someone to be feared, revered, and awed. I am reading Kyle Idleman’s “Not A Fan” these days, and I am afraid that there are way too many fans of Jesus. I don’t want to be one of them. I would instead, prefer to be a completely committed follower.

No comments: