Saturday, June 18, 2011

All In

1 Kings 19

19 So Elijah went and found Elisha son of Shaphat plowing a field. There were twelve teams of oxen in the field, and Elisha was plowing with the twelfth team. Elijah went over to him and threw his cloak across his shoulders and then walked away. 20 Elisha left the oxen standing there, ran after Elijah, and said to him, “First let me go and kiss my father and mother good-bye, and then I will go with you!”

Elijah replied, “Go on back, but think about what I have done to you.”

21 So Elisha returned to his oxen and slaughtered them. He used the wood from the plow to build a fire to roast their flesh. He passed around the meat to the townspeople, and they all ate. Then he went with Elijah as his assistant.

I’m reading this passage with a whole new perspective having just finished Kyle Idleman’s book, “Not A Fan.” Kyle points out that Elisha was obviously a man of quite some means: he has twelve teams of oxen! Most people of that day and time were lucky if they had one team of oxen. When Elijah calls Elisha to follow him (the whole throwing the cloak on Elisha’s shoulders thing), Elisha responds by slaughtering the twelve teams of oxen, and using the wood of the plow to roast the meat. He then gives the meat away to his neighbors. Elisha wants everyone to know in no uncertain terms that he is all in when it comes to heeding the call of Elijah and the call of God. Lord, I pray that my actions show that I am all in when it comes to heeding Your call on my life. It is not enough to give You lip service, I need to give You my life service.

No comments: