Friday, January 25, 2008

A Holy, Loving God

Psalm 18:25-27 (NLT)
25 To the faithful you show yourself faithful;
to those with integrity you show integrity.
26 To the pure you show yourself pure,
but to the wicked you show yourself hostile.
27 You rescue the humble,
but you humiliate the proud.

I read this passage earlier in the week as part of my One Year Bible reading plan. These words have stuck in my head. God is a loving God, and most people like to dwell on that part of Who God is. God is also and foremost a Holy God. We generally like to sweep that part of Who God is under the rug. David wrote and sang this Psalm on the day he was rescued from his enemies and from Saul. David is praising God for Who He is.

God is faithful to those who are faithful to Him. God shows His integrity to those who live with integrity. To those who are pure, God is pure.

However, God is hostile to the wicked. Hostile! God does not tolerate wickedness in the name of keeping the peace, or of being politically correct. God is HOSTILE towards the wicked.

While God rescues the humble, He HUMILIATES the proud! Humiliates them!

There have been plenty of times in my life when God needed to humiliate me and to be hostile towards me. My desire is to have those days behind me, and to be pure in Christ. Just as my sins were washed away in the watery grave of baptism, may my life be awash with faithfulness, integrity, purity and humility.

Only then, can I have true fellowship with a Holy, Loving God.

No comments: